Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Job Interviews

The very first article I decided read was titled "How to Answer Any Interview Question." I thought it would be a general rule of thumb for any sort of interview process. This article made the point that no matter what question is asked, the person being interviewed can steer the conversation to a point that he or she wants to make. The Q = A+1 is a very interesting formula for saying exactly what you want to say. Another thing this article stressed is to have anecdotes ready for the interviewer. This is one issue that I worry about for future interviews because as of right now, I have really only had one significant job and if I was asked multiple questions such as, "Describe a time when you had to work with someone who did not like you or vice versa" or another question along those lines, the answers would sound very similar. The final point of the article said that in the case that questions are asked that bring up negative answers, do not dwell on them but rather answer it and turn it into more of a positive or learning experience.
The next article that perked my interest was titles "More Employers Are Using Personality Tests As Hiring Tools." I am a person that strongly believes that the way a person acts could possible make up for their minor lack or experience and skill. If someone, such as myself, has had very little job experience but is very eager to learn, I think the oppurtunity for success is there not only for the person, but also for the company. It's interesting that companies are implementing these new tests in order to hire compatible job applicants and also to avoid and diminish future turnover rates. With turnovers costing a significant amount of company dollars, it seems to be a no brainer for a little extra money to be spent in the application process on these extra tests.
The final article I read was "How Candidates Can Make A Good First Impression." In really any aspect of life, first impressions are so important. It was funny that one of the biggest pet peeves of Mr. Ferber (Don't really know who that is) was when applicants come into the interview chewing gum. I like to think that I make a good impression upon people but I believe that a mistake like having gum in your mouth is a very easy one to make. Small details can really make or break your chance of getting the job that you want. This article reinforced in my head how important first impressions are and made me realize that every detail of my appearance and demeanor is being monitored.

No comments: