Sunday, November 11, 2007

Dual Coding Theory

I think this theory is so interesting. There are so many advertisements that I remember more than others and It's only because some aspects get to me in more effective ways. One commercial that I always like and remember is one on that is shown on The Learning Channel usually during A Baby Story or Bringing Home Baby. The commercial is encouraging saving cord blood. During the commercial, there is really soothing music playing and various images of babies and mothers. I really love children. I work with them all the time and I think they are just the greatest things in the world. I am in no hurry to have one of my own mind you, but the commercial really get me interested in saving cord blood later on when i do have children. Another example of dual coding theory that I see every time I drive home is for the Shane Company. The Shane Company is a jeweler that specializes in engagement rings. They have a billboard on I-85 heading North that shows a ring hanging off the corner of it and the words, "Ash her already!" I think that if a man was in a relationship with a women and he had been vacillating between asking her to marry him or not, and he saw this advertisement, he just may go into the Shane Company store and buy an engagement all because he saw the billboard. During my Freshman year English class, we talked about Dual Coding Theory also and we were required to bring in a magazine ad and discuss who it was targeting and what it was asking them to purchase. The ad I brought in was for Botox and it was aimed at a Mother of a Bride-to-Be. The said something along the lines of "look the same for her day as you did for your day." I thought this was very smart because I would imagine that mothers of women who are about to get married are very vulnerable and willing to do anything to make the day as perfect as it can be. I think that dual coding theory is something that is efficiently used by a lot of companies and taps into the mind of the consumers.

No comments: